Costa Rica is a beautiful country. After leaving San Jose on Saturday morning, the bus ride to Quepos was filled with sunshine, palm trees, and all things green. As well, there is a family of crocodiles that live in a river along that way that can be seen from the bus. Unfortunately, it is winter here, things are very rainy, but it only rained on the Saturday.
I have yet to do a lot of volunteer work, since the first days include a lot of introductory training. I have learned quite a bit about the project itself, how GVI positions itself as an organization within the community, and life in and around the house in Costa Rica.
The house itself is really spacious; it is home now to 17 people! In all my experiences in living with others, I have lucked out in having my own bedroom, my own space. That is now the complete opposite, since I'm sharing a bedroom and bathroom with 10 other girls (I even got the top bunk. Fingers crossed I don't fall off). There is a lot of space in the common area and on the patio to relax and try and get some alone time, but it seems as if there is constantly people around.
The people living in the house now have been here for quite a while already, I think the newest before myself has been here for a month. I've made a lot of international friends, because under the roof of this house is people from many different nationalities. From Switzerland, Sweden, the UK, Australia, and the United States. Everyone has their own unique accent, it is really interesting.
The rest of this week I will be doing 16 hours of Spanish lessons. The afternoons are ours to explore, so if the weather permits I think a beach trip is in order. Possibly surfing? I need to embrace the pura vida lifestyle while I'm here.
No comments:
Post a Comment